Let us take a glimpse of least and most corrupt country. This is needed to know the status of our country in 177 countries of the world. Because this bill is an anti corruption measure. Also have a look of lokpal activism in images.
This bill was already passed as "Lokpal bill 2011" in December 2011 in the Lok Sabha but failed in the Rajya Sabha. After long three years discussion and debate with few amendments the bill reached at historical success in December 2013. In 2011 a long discussion occurred in Rajya Sabha that had majority of opposition parties. One great thing happened in the year 2011 that the vote for Lokpal was conducted LIVE in the Lok Sabha that put a big pressure on small and opposition Parties to get an excuse. This is the highest step taken by UPA II and will put a landmarks in coming days. The history will reward Anna Hazare, UPAII , PM Manmohan Singh, Congress Chairperson Sonia Gandhi and Rahul Gandhi and others who had put their valuable support for the success of the Lokpal bill 2013 in coming days.
The bill got support from all parties except the Samajwadi party and Shiv Sena who's member staged a walkout
Aam Admi Party dubbed the new legislation as a "jokepal" bill. It, saying "The people of this country and the old man (Anna Hazare) who has undertaken fast several times deserve the credit.
The following are some of the features of the Lokpal at the Centre and Lokayukta in the states Lokpal at the Centre and Lokayukta in the states.
* Lokpal will consist of a chairperson and a maximum of eight members, of which 50 percent shall be judicial members
* 50 percent of the members shall be from SC/ST/OBCs, minorities and women.
* The chairperson and the members will be selected by a committee of the Prime Minister, speaker of Lok Sabha , the Leader of opposition in the in the Lok Sabha, the Chief Justice of India or a sitting Supreme Court judge nominated by the CJI , an eminent jurist to be nominated by the President of India on the basis of recommendations of the first four members of the selection committee.
* The Prime Minister has been brought under the purview of the Lokpal.
* The Lokpal jurisdiction will cover all categories of public servants.
* All entities receiving donations from foreign source in the context of the Foreign Contribution Regulation Act (FCRA) in excess of Rs 10 akh per year are brought under the jurisdiction of Lokpal.
* Lokpal will have power of superintendence and direction over any investigation agency including the CBI for cases referred to them by the Lokpal.
* A high-powered committee chaired by the Prime Minister will recommend selection of the director, CBI.
* A directorate of prosecution headed by a director will be put in place.
* Transfer of officers of CBI investigating cases referred by Lokpal with the approval of Lokpal.
* Property acquired by corrupt means can be attached and confiscated, even while prosecution is pending.
* A mandate for setting up of the institution of Lokayukta through enactment of law by the state legislature within a period of 365 days from the date of commencement of the act.
Resource for the features: The Telegraph 19 December.